Want to Avoid Unnecessary AC Repair in Wayne, NJ? Change Your Air Filter
As one of the top sources for AC repair in Wayne, NJ, we spend a lot of time making sure people’s AC systems are running properly. Unfortunately, much of the time, the problems we’re called to fix were actually preventable. While many areas of AC repair are beyond the average homeowner, there’s one key piece of maintenance that everyone can perform: air filter replacement.
Clogged air filters can cause numerous problems with an AC system. Fortunately, filters are easy to access, and just as easy to clean or replace. Here’s why you should always keep an eye on your filters.
How Timely Air Filter Replacements Prevent AC Repair Jobs in Wayne, NJ
Air filters in your AC system serve a very specific purpose. They exist to capture dirt, dust, pollen, and other tiny contaminants floating around in your home. This prevents them from being re-circulated by the AC system.
However, filters don’t last forever. They will fill up with gunk over time, and as they do, they’ll begin to impede the flow of air through your AC. That’s when the trouble begins. When air filters aren’t regularly cleaned or replaced, you can start to experience:
- Reduced airflow throughout your house
- Loss of cooling ability, or even rising temperatures
- Higher energy bills
- Lowered air quality, as the filter stops capturing contaminants
- Additional wear and tear on your AC system, due to having to work harder
- Frozen or broken evaporator coils
- Potential burnout or major mechanical issues, if the clogged filter remains in place
You might be surprised just how often we get called out to an AC repair job, only to discover the only thing wrong was a clogged filter.
So, how often should you clean or replace your air filter? Typical recommendations are to do it every 1-3 months. Exactly how often you should do it varies depending on the size of your home, and what’s in it.
- If you live in a regular home, with no pets, you can go 2-3 months between filter changes.
- If you have pets prone to shedding (fur or skin), change the filter every 1-2 months.
- If someone in your household has allergies, change it every month, for their protection.
Filters are cheap at most hardware stores – only a few dollars – and likewise, only take a few minutes to change. This saves you big on repair costs later on.