If you have an older AC that is getting ready to fall apart, you may need to replace it with a new air conditioner. If so, Air Temp can help you. We offer complete AC replacement in Teaneck, NJ. No matter what type of system your home needs, we can deliver a first-product backed by exceptional installation and customer service.
One of the most common questions we receive from our clients is, How long will my AC last? Below, we address the question with some practical answers that help you choose the right AC product. You can also call us at 800.969.1232 if you have any further questions or want to request an estimate from one of our technicians.
Several factors determine how long your system will run including:
Frequency of Use
Like any other piece of machinery, the more you use your AC, the faster it will wear out. How often you use your AC depends on other factors such as:
- Whether you are using a manual thermostat or a programmable thermostat
- How frugal you are with your AC use
- How efficient your home environment is (insulation, windows & doors, etc.)
- How often you change the filters in your home.
The frequency of use depends more on your home environment and your lifestyle than it does the AC unit itself. Generally speaking, you can expect your new AC system to last much longer than your older system – 15 to 25 years – with normal use.
Maintenance and Care
This may be the most important statement you read on this page: If you stick to the maintenance schedule found in your manufacturer user manual, you can expect your AC to last its expected lifespan.
Conversely, if you don’t take care of your AC, you can expect it to last half as long. You can also expect to void your warranty if you neglect your AC. The bottom line is this: If you don’t want to replace your air conditioner in ten years, then contact Air Temp and let’s set up an AC maintenance schedule.
Changing Your AC Air Filters
The simplest and most cost-effective thing you can do to ensure that your AC lasts a long time is to change the air filter regularly. Although every AC system has different requirements, experts recommend that you change out your filter at least every one to three months.
What are the best filters for your AC system? That depends on three main factors:
- Filter thickness. The thickness of the AC filter will impact your air conditioner’s efficiency and remove contaminants from the air in your home. There are two standards for filter thickness: 1-inch and 4-inch. If your system requires one thickness, the other thickness will not work. Check your manufacturer user manual to determine which thickness is right for your AC.
- MERV Rating. The Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value (MERV) is a standard that rates the overall effectiveness of air filters. The higher the rating, the more contaminants and dust particles the filter will remove from the air. Try to buy a filter with a MERV rating of 6 to 13.
- MPR Rating. The Micro-particle Performance Rating measures manufacturer filters and their ability to capture particles smaller than 1 micron. Filters range from 300-1900.
Schedule AC Maintenance in Teaneck, NJ
If you need AC maintenance, then contact Air Temp. We offer AC repair, installation and complete AC maintenance in Teaneck, NJ. We can optimize your air conditioner and have it running smoothly season after season.
To schedule AC service, call us at 800.969.1232. You can also send a message on our contact page.
About Teaneck, NJ
Teaneck, New Jersey is a beautiful city set in the New Jersey natural scenic landscape. Our diverse culture offers all types of annual events and activities that bring our small community together. Visitors and newcomers can participate in Puffin cultural experience, Teaneck International Film Festival, and Teaneck Creek Conservatory. We have a wonderful school system. We are also home to Fairleigh Dickinson University.